Book health & wellness appointments instantly

Diets and Cleanses

The sheer number of diets and cleanses promoted in the market can be quite confusing. Here's what you need to know.

Should I seek a nutritionist or trainer? Weight 198; 6'-0"; need to lose 12 lbs.

Austra Bloms (Portland, OR) on Mar 6, 2012
Log on to the USDA nutrition website. It will show you everything you need to know about nutrition. There is even a tracking plate you can set upjust for you. It will help show which foods/nutrients you are missing and what needs to be added into your current diet. Exercising with a trainer is important. Working out will help you slow muscle atrophy, keep your muscles toned, boost metabolism and maintain a healthy heart.
Cathleen Bucio (Portland, OR) on Mar 6, 2012
I'm a certified personal trainer, so if you're nearby, I invite you to come in and do a fitness assessment with me. I have been in the health and fitness industry for 20 years. I believe I can help you lose 12 pounds.
Anthony McElroy (Washington, DC) on Mar 6, 2012
You will benefit from appropriate guidance from both. An experienced trainer who also has an excellent knowledge of nutrition might be a good option. There are many great coaches out there. Green veggies are key!
Graeme Buenaflor (Falls Church, VA) on Mar 6, 2012
More studies indicate that diet has a bigger impact on weight loss then exercise. With that said, exercise would be a great complement to your diet. In addition, exercise plays a much bigger role in maintaining weight after initial weight loss.
Mark Walker (Lawton, OK) on Mar 6, 2012
I think seeking out both would help. But if you have to choose, I would go with a personal trainer, preferably one with experience with clients like you. They should have a strong background in injury prevention and rehabilitation. The advantage of choosing a trainer is that in most cases the trainer should have a working knowledge of proper nutrition. He can provide you helpful guidance on food choices and alternatives to green veggies. Hope this helps.
Adam Yezer (Raleigh, NC) on Jan 6, 2013
I can recommend some things, I am both nutritonist and trainer but most likely do not live in your area. I would look for recipes to add different things to help flavor green veggies cheese is a good one for example. Cheese is hi na so do not use a lot but a little to flavor, or lowfat low cal mayo's for various salads. Try different ones to see ones your like best(mayo) For exercise I like free weights light weights circuit training, eaither at home or a gym. There are good studies that show weights in a cardio format can improve lean muscle and cardiac function. Good luck.
Michaela Ballmann (Altadena, CA) on Oct 15, 2012
For you, I would recommend seeing a Registered Dietitian. For the most part, weight is affected by what you eat. Sure you can exercise more and burn more Calories, but what often happens is that people compensate for their activity and eat more during the day. It would be helpful to meet with a dietitian to help find ways to incorporate veggies that you like into your diet, reduce your sodium intake, and lose weight. If you need help finding more variations of exercises you can do in the pool or using a bike, you can consult a trainer or physical therapist.
Al Chu (Woodside, NY) on Oct 14, 2012
To get the both of both worlds, it's always best to work with both. But in the real world, most of us mortals can only affford one. I would say that provided you have a doctors's clearance that you do not need to be referred to a registered dietitian for any nutritional deficiencies, you may be better off losing your body fat and gaining the muscle with the help of a trainer.
Al Chu (Woodside, NY) on Oct 14, 2012
To get the both of both worlds, it's always best to work with both. But in the real world, most of us mortals can only affford one. I would say that provided you have a doctors's clearance that you do not need to be referred to a registered dietitian for any nutritional deficiencies, you may be better off losing your body fat and gaining the muscle with the help of a trainer.
Hubert Maloy (Greenville, SC) on Sep 28, 2012
Both, to give you a short answer. We are the same age. I work daily and exclusively with clients referred by physicians with knees, backs, hips, shoulders, cancer, stents, new CABG, spinal stenosis etc. They are my people. I love working with them. They are so excited to find they can do thing they thought they would never do again. There are, of course, some exercises and equipment you don't need to be using but there is a ton of equipment in a gym that you can use and a lot of good exercise you can do at home. You don't need a gym to get fit. Since you are looking at new knees in a year or two, you need to begin now strengthening the legs and especially the muscles that stabilize the knee. The stronger you legs are, the better the surgery and rehab will go. Find a good trainer, preferably at trainer certified as a health and fitness specialist, and see a nutritionist.
Franklin Antoian (Delray Beach, FL) on Sep 28, 2012
A personal trainer and a registered dietician can help you with additional workouts and a safe diet plan that will help you reach your fitness goals.
Kay Curtis (Burbank, CA) on Jul 7, 2012
You need both, but a nutritionist even more so if you are as active as you are and you have high blood pressure. A good nutritionist should know how to direct you eating habits to get your blood pressure down.
Clyde Mealy (Kapolei, HI) on May 30, 2012
I would suggest utilizing a trainer with a background in nutrition and/or a RD to review your caloric intake. In addition, find an exercise/movement you can perform to get your heart rate up within your doctor prescribed limits since you are on BP medication. I hope this helps and have fun achieving your goal!
Greg Kimbrough (Mckinney, TX) on May 23, 2012
Both if it fits your budget. Spend more in the area you feel least comfortable. Remember, eating healthy doesn't always translate to fat loss. But fat loss always involves eating healthy when there is fat to lose...
Reggie Swindell (Decatur, GA) on Apr 6, 2012
Hello Friend, Based on your profile your immediate needs would be addressed by a trainer more so than a dietician since the dietician will not change your mind about the green veggies. A certified personal trainer can show you many ways to safely train muscles like your quadriceps, gluteus maximus and hamstrings without causing undue wear on the knees, hips or back. A post rehab certified personal trainer can work closely with your doctor on a program designed specifically for you. Good luck and be well, Reggie Swindell
Atom Francisco (Tustin, CA) on Mar 28, 2012
Great to see you moving forward regardless of the obstacles... I suggest a personal trainer because a knowledgeable one can suggest great dietary shifts while helping you find some exercises that can help you maintain an ideal weight. Keep in mind it is not about increasing your metabolism to it running on "high" yet rather balancing your endocrine system as a whole in order to promote a balanced metabolism. Think of the body as a whole integrative system which just needs balancing here and there. Enjoy the process and keep going with the little goals helping to achieve the big goals
Bryna Carracino (Los Angeles, CA) on Mar 26, 2012
I would suggest finding a trainer in your area who can help you with nutrition and exercise.. You can go through circuit training work outs that use different modalities but that also mix in functional movement exercises. Is your pool heated because you can have training sessions in the pool. Where are you located? I would love to help you! You can lose that 12 lbs in no time! please get in touch! Best Bryna
Jessica Riley (Coeur D Alene, ID) on Mar 24, 2012
Working with a trainer would be a wonderful idea to make sure your doing exercise in a heathly and safe way to your situation.
Marcus Nisbett (Royal Palm Beach, FL) on Mar 22, 2012
I think you are probably capable of much more than you think you are! There is much we can do simply using your body weight, Light dumbbells, Medicine balls, etc. Marcus
Tony Torres (Los Angeles, CA) on Mar 19, 2012
Hello, In order for you to lose some weight, you need to evaluate how much activity you are able to do vs how many calories you consume. I would recommend that you enter in a resistance training program. Indeed you do have limitations due to the condition of your knee joints, but limiting yourself to training in a single plain is not of absolute benefit. Swimming and different pool exercises are very effective. As far as your nutritional needs, a balanced diet in the appropriate calorie range to your needs is a must.
Nicholas Prukop (Newport Beach, CA) on Mar 19, 2012
Working with a qualified trainer makes sense in your case since becoming active safely is a priority at this point in your life. Changing the input side of the calorie formula is less important than becoming more active and remembering that are trying to build strength and endurance for the long haul. Get a referral to an experienced fitness professional who can design a program that specifically meets your physical, emotional, and medical needs and who can coach - and teach - you and finally inspire you to new and rewarding results. Consulting a nutritional professional is a always a good idea down the road, but get moving first and the weight will start to take care of itself. Permanent weight loss is a function of being able to burn calories over time - and becoming truly active is a terrific way to jump start your body to a healthier - and fitter - you!
Ralph Arellanes (Albuquerque, NM) on Mar 19, 2012
There is a saying that goes "You can't out-train a bad diet." it is true, if you are not controlling what you're taking in, it will directly affect what you're getting out of your workouts..This is a great question. Depending on where you are and the amount of qualified professionals available I would say seek out the services of both. Often times, however, there are also trainers who are certified nutritionists and dieticians as well, and vice versa.
Corey Gill (Glendale, AZ) on Mar 19, 2012
At this point, for weight loss you would probably have more success with a nutritionist. If you have physical limitations, most trainers, including myself, would have problems getting you as active as you would need to be in order to lose the weight.
Michael Schletter (New York, NY) on Mar 18, 2012
You should seek both. A trainer will help you adapt an exercise program to fit your needs, and a nutritionist will help fine-tune your nutrition habits in order to maximize the results of your fitness program. Also, it is important to take into consideration your knee surgeries and the conditions that come along with them. I would find a trainer with a background in physical therapy, so you know your trainer will not ignore you and push you through exercises that will end up hurting you more in the end. For example, I was a physical therapist assistant for two and a half years while away at college, and I continue to observe about 3 hours per week of physical therapy in order to enhance my abilities as a professional, and I have a client who has a cervical spine (neck) injury and through my training the client has greatly improved both his quality of life and his fitness level. Contact me directly for more info: Hope this helps! -Michael Schletter, NSCA-CPT
Michael Bistany (Salem, NH) on Mar 18, 2012
Look for the right trainer with credentials like post rehab, sports nutrition, etc....
Stephanie Pugh (Austin, TX) on Mar 18, 2012
I vote Yes to both. A good trainer can design a program that will work around your limitations that should also appeal to your preferences. A credible nutritionist can advise you on foods to eat or avoid with respect to your hypertension. There are lots of nutrient-rich foods besides the green stuff. But (and you won't like it, but that's just tough) I'll say what your mother would probably also tell you, and that is: Eat your veggies! You surely didn't make it to 73 by never doing anything difficult or unpleasant, and a little broccoli now and then never killed anyone, whereas hypertension most definitely has. That may sound dramatic, but, as Jim Rohn said, "Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live." Good luck!
Josh Morrison (Mt Zion, IL) on Mar 18, 2012
You don't need a trainer to just lose the 12 lbs. That's just burning more calories than you take in. Yet, you have a lot of other things going on. A good trainer would be able to help with your knee issues and the BP issues.
Doug Larsen (Hopkins, MN) on Mar 18, 2012
Creating new eating plans is a great way to loose weight. Exercise compliments this so any trainer who works with nutrition could help you. Although seeing you are already exercising perhaps a nutritionist would work best for you. Good Luck
Garry King (Los Angeles, CA) on Mar 18, 2012
Hello, I would first see a Doctor, let him/her evaluate you to see if you are ok. Then I would interview a couple of Trainers that have some education in Nutrition. Garry 818.590.4920
Patricia Englund (San Antonio, TX) on Mar 18, 2012
I think you should obtain a Certified Personal trainer or Rehab Specialist, with an extensive background and/or education in rehabilitation and nutrition. With hands on experience training other individuals that have similar ailments. You stats sound great!, I wouldn't worry to much about losing weight. I would recommend, focusing on improving your eating habits, increasing your flexiblity, by incorporating regular stretching routines and light resistance training. The cycling and the swimming are excellent for your cardio conditioning, as well as, improving the flexiblity and the fluidity in your joints. Keep that up! Since you do not eat alot of the green veggies, you can take it one step at time with with incorporating leafy greens slowly into your regular eating regime. Salads are easy enough to start out with. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.