Book health & wellness appointments instantly

Hair Loss/thinning

Information And Treatment

Roughly 30 million women in the U.S. suffer from thinning hair—about one in four women.

Hair loss in women can be caused by hyperthyroidism, ovarian cysts, changes in hormone levels during pregnancy and menopause, and years of abuse via excessive hair products. However, 90 percent of hair loss in women can be attributed to genetics. At the root (so to speak) of female hair loss is dihydrotestosterone, a derivative of the male hormone testosterone (DHT) If a woman has too much of this hormone, it shrinks follicles and kills off healthy hair.

Unlike male pattern baldness, which leads to the loss of patches at a time, women more commonly discover that their hair volume diminishes, with each strand shrinking in diameter. This is what makes hair transplants on women so difficult; no specific area can (normally) be treated.

Age range: Generally, women who notice significant hair loss start to see their locks thin between the ages of 25 and 35.

Interesting Facts

A typical cycle of hair growth lasts between two and three years. On average, 90 percent of the hair on your scalp is growing at any given time, while the other 10 percent is inert.